Tower Genius has been helping property owners in cell tower lease negotiations for decades. Our expertise including leasing, property valuation, lease negotiations, lease coaching, and tower lease rates.
If you have a property where you think a cell tower company may be interested in leasing, then you have come to the right place. Leasing your property to cell tower companies can be quite a lucrative source of side income.
However, it isn’t easy to convince tower companies to build a tower on your land unless and until it fixes into their current network structure plans for the future. Even if your land is ideal, it may still be quite hard to get a tower company to install a tower.
This guide will help you with getting a tower lease company to install a tower on your land.
Look For Cell Towers Nearby
- If you find there is a tower installed near your land within the distance of 3 miles (if rural), 1 mile (if suburban), and ½ mile (if urban), then you should stop your search and move forward. The probability of a tower company installing a tower on your land within these proximities is impossible.
If there are no other cell towers in these distances, then you can move on to the next step.
Research Cell Tower Requirements
- You have to know the rules a company follows to install a tower to a new location. This is very easy to find out. Simply call the city zoning office and ask about the requirements and prohibitions for cell towers in your area.
Try to find what the rules are specifically for your land. You may be given a zoning map to deal with that prohibits cell towers in the area. Typically, a tower cannot be installed in residential zones or near any residential property.
- Towers are allowed to be built in commercial or industrial areas. However, if the county zoning office gives you a map that does not prohibit the installation of a tower, then you can easily approach a company and get them interested.
Check the Coverage Maps
- You can easily check the coverage map of individual cell companies by going to their website and looking for coverage maps. If your land is where there is no coverage by a particular company, then it is a good idea to talk to them.
Put a Sign on Your property
- Let a cell tower company know that your property is available for leasing by putting up a sign clearly saying that the site is available for towers. You can then advertise this property in an old-fashioned way by going with word-to-mouth or even placing advertisements.
The sign has to be very clear and must be placed on the highest ground so that it is visible.
Get Help with Negotiations
If by any chance a tower company shows interest in your property, do not sign a deal without getting an expert valuation of your property. Talk to Tower Genius today and let us help you make the best out of a deal.